Vol. 34, No. 11 November, 2010
IT IS FINISHED
By Pastor George Mills
“When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said, IT IS FINISHED, and He bowed his head and gave up the Ghost.” (John 19:30).
It is great to work on a project and see it through to completion; IT IS FINISHED.
I just wonder, is there any other three words in one sentence in the language of man that can compare with the value of these three words; IT IS FINISHED? Certainly not! There is just too much involved with these three words, “IT IS FINISHED.” They range from eternity past, to eternity future. Let us for a few minutes look into the depths of these three words, “IT IS FINISHED.” This is the Saviour’s cry upon the Cross of Redemption…Just what was finished?
1. SUFFERINGS WERE FINISHED. We cannot begin to understand the pain and sufferings of our Lord. I have heard men try to describe His sufferings, but nothing in the language of man can explain the depths of His sufferings. His sufferings did not begin at Calvary, they ended there. His sufferings began the night He was born. He suffered through life in at least three ways…
(A) Mentally. He was born with all the make up of every human. He knows everything we suffer. Think of His humiliation, of His rejection. Think of the times the Jews mocked His birth. Just try to walk in His steps and you will see mental suffering. The things that hurt us hurt Him. All of this ended for Him on the cross. I know men still mock Him, but He is the risen Lord, victorious over death. Nothing man can say now that can cause Him mental sufferings. He knows all about you. He cares for you.
(B) Physically. The physical pain Christ suffered was indescribable. Please read all of the 19th Chapter of the Gospel of John. The beatings, the scourging, the crown of thorns, the mockery trial, the nailing of Him to the cross, His crucifixion. Please read the 22nd Psalm, Isaiah 53. There is so much more. These verses give us a glimpse into His physical sufferings. He knows all about our physical pain. He has been there. He cares about you.
(C) Spiritually. “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me?” was His cry.
This is the only time when the God-head was ever, or will ever be separated. All the sin of all the ages was placed upon the Saviour on the cross as He suffered there. He bore our sin, our pain, our loss. But now, the sufferings are finished, “Who His own self bore our sins in His body on the tree, that we being dead to sins should live unto righteousness, by whose stripes ye were healed.” (1Pet. 2:24). Healed “by His stripes” goes far deeper than physical healing. Everything that separated man from God was healed by His sacrifice upon the Cross, and His resurrection from the dead.
The SUFFERINGS were finished! Mentally, Physically, Spiritually, He suffered for you, and for me. He knows us, He cares about us.
2. SACRIFICES WERE FINISHED. Jesus died as our Passover Lamb. Sacrifices started in the Garden of Eden when God slew an animal and clothed Adam and Eve with coats of skin. Sacrifices were offered all through the Old Testament. The Passover lamb in Egypt. The scape goats, bullocks, birds, all pictured, or pointed to the One Sacrifice for sin; “The Holy Ghost this signifying that the way into the Holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was standing, Which was a figure for the time then present in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices that could not make him that did service perfect as pertaining to the conscience. Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings and carnal ordinances imposed on them until the time of reformation. But CHRIST being come a high priest of good things to come by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say not of this building. Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but BY HIS OWN BLOOD He entered ONCE into the holy place having obtained eternal redemption for us.” (Heb. 9:8-12). ALL of the sacrifices demanded by the Law were fulfilled and finished on the Cross.
3. SCRIPTURES WERE FINISHED. I know that the New Testament was written after the Saviour’s death on the Cross. But the Cross is the central theme of the whole Bible..
(A) Mosaic Law was finished. Christ fulfilled every demand of the law, and took it all away, nailing it to His Cross. “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way nailing it to His cross.” (Col 2:9-14).
(B) Messianic prophecies were finished. There are many, far too many Scriptural references to Christ as Messiah to print here. As stated before, read Isaiah 53, Psalm 22, 23, 24, Zech, 12:10-14. All Messianic prophecies in the Bible (KJB) were finished, fulfilled in Christ.
4. SATAN WAS FINISHED. In Genesis 3:15 God said that a battle would rage. God told Satan that the seed of the serpent would bruise the heel of the seed of the woman, (Christ). This came to fulfillment at Calvary. Satan tried to cut off God’s plan of redemption. Satan was at Christ’s baptism, (Mt. 3) and he heard God say, “This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.” Satan tested Christ in Matthew 4, and the battle raged. Satan tried to destroy Him again and again. He finally so stirred the crowd on crucifixion day. “CRUCIFY HIM, CRUCIFY HIM.” Little did Satan realize that he was sealing his own doom. “Which none of the princes of this world knew, for if they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of Glory.” (1Cor. 2:8) “Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself took part of the same that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil. And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.” (Heb. 2:14-15). I know that Satan is alive and active today, but his doom was settled at Calvary. His doom is sealed. Jesus came forth from the tomb alive! “I am He that liveth, and was dead, and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen, and have the keys of hell and death.” (Rev. 1:18). When Christ said, IT IS FINISHED, Satan was finished.
5. SIN WAS FINISHED. God made an end for sin at the Cross. God’s only payment for sin is death. Christ died for us. He died under the penalty of sin that we might live forever.
(A) Sin’s payment was finished. As Paul wrote, “The wages of sin is death,” (Ro. 6:23). Christ paid the price for sin in full by His sacrifice for sin on Calvary.
(B) Sin’s penalty was finished. All of our sin was placed upon Christ on the cross. “All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way, and the Lord hath laid upon Him the iniquity of us all.” (Isa. 53:6).
(C) Sin’s power was finished. Every sin was placed upon the sinless One on the Cross. “He took our sin away.” Sin’s power is broken. There is no sin that has man bound that the blood of Christ cannot overcome. Whatever has man bound; hate, drugs, alcohol, sexual sins, lust, desires of the flesh, whatever has man bound, the blood of Christ has power to overcome. Trust His finished work today! Let Him prove to you His power in your life today. Multitudes have found victory through Faith in Christ.
6. SALVATION WAS FINISHED. It is complete in Christ. You cannot add anything to or take anything away from His salvation. Man likes to add his part. He adds baptisms, works, robes, candles, rituals, Church membership, and a thousand other things. But Salvation is a done deal. The only thing we can do is to receive it. “But as many as received him to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name.” (Jn. 1:12). How do you receive Him? Just tell Him that you receive Him. He is there where you are. He will hear your heart’s cry.
SALVATION IS FINISHED!
My wife makes beautiful quilts. She had no lessons, she taught herself. Her needlework is very precise. Every piece of her quilt must fit in proper order. She has made many quilts for family and friends. Each one was done with much care. I well recall her making a special quilt for our daughter. She had to cut with her scissors thousands of small pieces of material. Each piece had to have a particular shape and size. When she had cut enough pieces, she began to sew them all together. I believe the pattern she made was called “Pin-wheel.” Carefully she sowed her material together. Some of these pieces formed the background, and some of these pieces formed the beautiful pattern. JUST LIKE GOD’S PLAN OF REDEMPTION. From time to time she would show me her work on this beautiful quilt. Finally one day she said to me, “IT’S FINISHED!” I saw the beautiful handwork, every stitch, every thread was all in place. FINISHED! A beautiful work of art done by her own hands, FINISHED!
And so it is with Salvation. God had been busy putting all the pieces together and in order. The background, the types, the shadows, but the Cross; that’s the FINISHED WORK! It cannot be improved. Accept it as is, there is no other way.
We can shout for Joy today, Hallelujah,
What a Saviour!
IT IS FINISHED
By Pastor George Mills
“It is finished, it is finished”,
Hear the dying Lamb’s decree.
“It is finished, it is finished,
My blood is shed for thee.”
Forever it is finished,
The battle of the seed.
It is finished, it is finished,
Christ is conqueror indeed.
Gone forever is the conflict,
Satan’s head beneath Christ’s feet.
It is finished, it is finished,
Salvation’s plan is now complete.
Gone the guilt of sin forever,
Paid in full at Calvary.
It is finished, it is finished,
Christ’s blood has set us free.
“It is finished, it is finished,”
To His Father, He did call.
“It is finished, it is finished,”
Precious Lamb, Thou paid it all.
WELCOMETO OUR WEB-SITE…
This, our HOME PAGE lists the various outreaches of this Ministry.
Our MAIN MENU lists what we believe and what our purpose is.
Check our PUBLICATION ARCHIVES and you will find years of printed messages on many Biblical subjects.
Click on “CHURCH IN THE WILDWOOD BROADCAST” or “MORE SERMONS” for voice messages on many Biblical subjects.
Church In The Wildwood Broadcast began in 1966.
We are always glad to hear your comments about this world outreach ministry.
The WILDERNESS Monthly publication is sent in bulk to many prisons in Florida, and is sent to individual inmates in other states.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS…It is no friend to the Christian. This world is a barren place, a thirsty place. A drink from the well of salvation quenches our thirst. What the world offers is temporal. Salvation and what it brings is eternal.
THINK ABOUT IT…Christ’s Work is a finished work. We cannot add anything to it. It must be received or rejected.
“SWEET BABE, THY SPIRIT NOW HAST REST”
By Pastor George Mills
The above phrase is the inscription on the tombstone of a small child. It touched my heart when I read it. You see, it is, I believe on the tombstone of my father’s baby sister.
I was separated from my father when I was just a three year old child and never saw him again. My father died many years ago. I never saw a picture of my father until I was in my late twenties. In the last few years I have made it a goal of mine to find the gravesites of my father’s people. I have found the graves of his grandparents, parents, and some of his brothers and sisters. Someone told me that my father had a baby sister who died many many years ago while the family lived in Georgia. I began to search for her grave. After searching, and speaking to some who knew my father’s people, I searched several small rural cemeteries in Southwest Early County Georgia. Then one day in a small cemetery there I found it. There it was. The name on the tombstone was
LULA KATE MILLS
With the inscription;
SWEET BABE THY SPIRIT NOW HAST REST.
I wept when I found the gravesite. From the inscription, I believe that this little girl was born sickly or had contacted some childhood disease, and had suffered much before she died. I think that she was about five years old when she died. I stood there in silence and pictured in my mind that funeral service so many, many years ago. I pictured my grandfather standing there probably with his arm around my grandmother trying to comfort her. I could picture my dad there. He would probably be about the age of fourteen then. He was probably tall, skinny, and trying to hold back tears. I pictured his brothers and sisters as they wept at the grave.of their little sister. In my mind I attended that funeral and wept with them. They were not there with me, and the funeral took place many, many years before I was born. But I stood there and wept with them.
You know, life down here is just a small span. Sometimes life deals much pain and suffering. But to the redeemed ones, the end of this life will reveal to us the fulfillment of that sweet little phrase;
“SWEET BABE THY SPIRIT NOW HAST REST.”
Sweet Babe, thy spirit now hast rest,
All pain and suffering has past.
Safe on that shore,
Where we suffer no more,
Sweet Babe, thy spirit now hast rest.
And in memory of our dear loved ones who have gone on to be with our Lord…
Sweet one, thy spirit now hast rest,
Now home with the faithful and blessed.
You gave us your all,
Then you answered His call,
Sweet one, thy spirit now hast rest.
By Pastor George Mills
“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities.” (Ro. 8:26)
I prayed a Prayer the other day,
But I could not find what words to say.
When the answer came I could clearly see,
That the Holy Spirit had prayed for me.
He knows the thoughts that rob my mind.
That makes right words so hard to find.
So for His kindness, love and care,
I thank my God for Answered Prayer.
With Thanks I prayed the other day,
And knew what words that I must say.
From a grateful heart when I knelt there,
I said Thank you God for answered Prayer.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY AMERICA. NOVEMBER 25th.
“Be thankful unto Him and bless His Name.” (Psa. 100:4)
A few moments ago I was reading Romans, Ch.1. There is a long list of indictments listed there. I believe that the source of the condemnations listed is found in the phrase in Ro. 1:21, “Neither were they thankful.”
I just jotted down a few things for which I wish to express my Thanksgiving to God.
1. SALVATION. His plan of Salvation included me. I could never do anything to earn, or to help earn Salvation. In God’s Love and Mercy He sent His Son to purchase our Salvation by His death on the Cross. God saved me when I received His Son by FAITH alone. I THANK HIM FOR SAVING ME so many years ago. THANK YOU GOD!
2. SERVICE. I thank and praise Him for the years He has given me in His service. Fifty years ago I was saved by His GRACE. As far as I knew I had no talent, or ability to serve Him. However, it was just a few months later that I was preaching, Sunday School Supt. and soon off to Bible School. I THANK HIM FOR THE TIME HE HAS GIVEN ME IN HIS SERVICE! Today, my voice, my writings can be heard or read anywhere in the world where a computer is available. THANK YOU LORD.
3. SECURITY. Oh how many times I have failed and not lived up to what I should have been. I am so grateful that my security is NOT in me, but in Him. His GRACE found me, and His GRACE has kept me. There was nothing that I could have done to secure myself. My trust is in GOD ALONE! THANK YOU GOD FOR KEEPING ME IN YOUR HAND, Safe, and Secure!
4. SPIRIT. The Spirit that opened my heart to receive Christ is the Spirit that has guided, taught, and helped me in my Christian life. The HOLY SPIRIT is God’s great Gift to the Christian. Words are insufficient to express the value of the Indwelling Holy Spirit. I wish to THANK GOD FOR THE FELLOWSHIP AND GUIDANCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
5. SCRIPTURES. Thank God for the Bible. Someone sent me a picture of my Great Grandfather, perhaps dated about the end of the civil war. He is sitting in a chair holding a large book with HOLY BIBLE on the cover. My Bible, and his Bible, dated about 150 years ago are the same, word for word. I thank God for His preservation of His Holy Word. Of course, I do not agree with the stacks of new “versions” on the market today. These versions do not agree with each other, except in the fact that they disagree with the PURITY and PRESERVATION of the Word of God as given in the King James Bible. Many new schools are opening today with the clear stand upon the authority of the Received Text from which we get the King James Bible. THANK GOD FOR HIS WORD. Without which we would be as helpless and hopeless as those listed in Romans 1-3. THANK YOU GOD!
The only way that I can express my appreciation to my Heavenly Father is to continue my best in the five brief points I have listed in this message today. God Bless you! God Bless America! And may we serve Him with a grateful heart!
FROM MY HEART
By Mildred Mills
THE ALL SEEING EYE
He sees us when we are sleeping, He sees us when we are awake, He knows when we are bad or good and I am not talking about Santa Claus!
Our Heavenly Father sees our every move, He hears our every word and knows our every thought! Nothing is hidden from Him, He sees all. What a wonderful truth to know our Heavenly Father watches over us. He guides us with His eye and promised never to leave us nor forsake us. Remember, we take Him with us wherever we may go. He is the unseen guest in our home and is in on all our conversations. He is always with us! We love to talk about God’s watch care and His ever presence in our lives, but we forget all about His presence when we take Him into places that are ungodly and we seem to forget He is present when we speak harsh, hateful words that hurt others. When we break the law and speed, run red lights and stop signs, we forget, He is right there with us.
I was telling my son that just happens to be a Policeman, that every time I get caught speeding the policeman is hiding behind a bush or in the trees. I can’t see him and I get caught! I asked my son, “Why do they hide?” Well, I was in for a sermon. He proceeded to tell me, “Mom, it’s sorta like God, you can’t see Him but He is watching you, so my advice to you is to slow down and remember the eyes of the law are upon you and so are the eyes of God!” I said to him, “Well said my son, well said.” To be honest I needed to be reminded that my Heavenly Father is with me at all times and sees my every action whether it be right or wrong. After all, if His eye is on the sparrow, I know He is watching me and I thank God for His all seeing eye!
“For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and His ears are open unto their prayers.” (1Pet. 3:12).
“Behold, the eye of the Lord is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His Mercy.” (Psa. 33:18).
“I will guide thee with mine eye.”
TEEN TALKS THAT MATTER
By Ashley Stevens
SO MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR!
There is a song I truly love that says, “There is none like you, our God is greater, our God is stronger, God you are higher than any other, our God is healer, awesome in power, our God!” There is definitely no one like our God. Our god is truly amazing!
We should be thankful all of the time but there is something about the Thanksgiving Holiday that really causes me to pause and reflect on how God has blessed me all year. As a teenager sometimes I find myself complaining a lot. I know that is wrong because I have so much to be thankful for. I remember one day recently when I was riding my bike and just complaining in my head. As I continued riding I looked and saw a girl about the age of 15, confined to a wheelchair. She had a severe physical disability. At that point God convicted me and revealed to me that I really have a lot to be thankful for, and I needed to stop complaining. God truly brought my minor problems into perspective.
I serve an awesome God; I have a great family, a roof over my head, and good health. I honestly have no room to complain. With Thanksgiving coming up, I strongly encourage you to stop and think about all the things God has blessed you with! I think you will probably find a lot that you should be thankful for. I am thankful that I live in a free country, and that I am able to walk around with my Bible and worship my amazing God. I am grateful that I can share my faith with others. There are little things that we can be thankful for too, like shoes on our feet, great friends and our family.
I hope that you and your family have a safe and a great Thanksgiving. Be sure to give thanks to God!. Remember He is the reason we all should be thankful. He died for our sins and one day we will have the opportunity to live with Him in an amazing place called Heaven if we put our faith and trust in Him. I trust that if you are not saved that you will ask God into your heart today.
Until next time, Ashley Stevens
We wish to express our Thanksgiving to God for the opportunity He has given us in reaching out with the Gospel Message with this monthly Publication, now 34 years old. We wish to say thanks to each of you who pray and support this Ministry without which we could do nothing. THANKS!